atypicalset -- 亦云?

Sunday, April 13, 2008

small pleasures at the Guggenheim

I spent the Sunday afternoon off at the Guggenheim. The main attraction was the impressive "I want to believe" by Cai Guo-Qiang, which certainly warrants another post (soon hopefully). I almost walked out of the museum door before half-heartedly picked up a museum catalog -- and that drew me back to the 3rd floor annex for the Karl Nierendorf collection. It seemed at first sight to be "just another dose of modern art" but ended up exceeding the modest expectation. There were several sparkles from a rather extensive Paul Klee collection along with his peers that very much placed thing in historical context.
Another one that attracted my eyes with the vibrant colors and shapes was Kandinsky's Small Pleasures (Kleine freunden). Pleasures are colorful, they come in all different shapes, and the overall picture is a mess once life is full of them! Aren't we all constantly indulging in many small pleasures: cook a few experimental dishes, read the economist, surf facebook, take pictures, post them to flickr and watch the new comments with excitement, read the audiobook Long Tail while waiting for my train ride, secretly taking note that most of my likes and dislikes are also in the "long tail", and spending a spring afternoon watching urban flowers, and fill my brain with imaginative museum pieces. Why not?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • O! So Cai Guo-Qiang's exhibition is still going on! It was grand scale.... I admire his ambitions, although I couldn't get to understand all of his works. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/30/2008 07:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home