atypicalset -- 亦云?

Sunday, February 03, 2008

"China Road"

I was driving along the east PA stretch of I-80, when the narration for Rob Gifford's China Road slowly filled the egg-shaped compartment of my bug2k, and completely occupied my heart. For the "ocean readers" (洋人), this book is a faithful first-hand travel account backed up by years of experience living and working in China. For me, one of the ordinary souls among the "old hundred names" (老百姓), I just cannot help but resonate with Gifford's vivid literal translations, candid descriptions and poignant observations. I helplessly found tears flood behind my glasses in one moment, and smile creep in with tears in the next.

Maybe it is the winding mountain roads, drab winter fields and isolated country houses that zoomed by my windshield, maybe it's the lonely long drive, maybe it is the chronic nostalgia ... but, does it matter? Big thanks to Wilson and Ming for recommending the wonderful book, and I shall go on to enjoy the remaining chapters.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home